A rewarding full-time opportunity awaits you!
If you are someone who enjoys the satisfaction of working in a scratch kitchen and making nutritious and fresh meals for a large group of people, we have a wonderful opportunity for you. As a Kitchen Assistant – Baker with Independent Living, Inc. you will have a rewarding job that meets the needs of senior residents and clients of Evening Meals on Wheels. Our chef, who has 28 years of experience in both the Wisconsin and Chicago areas, operates the kitchen in a family-like atmosphere. In addition, this particular role works a typical Monday through Friday shift will leaves time for you to have work-life balance.
Independent Living, Inc. is a non-profit organization that serves seniors and adults with disabilities in their own homes and in senior living communities throughout Dane County. The Kitchen Assistant – Baker will work in the commercial kitchen at The Gardens Retirement Community, 602 North Segoe Road, near the Hilldale Shopping Center.
Essential functions include:
- Baking desserts for residents at The Gardens Retirement Community and clients of the Evening Meals on Wheels program
- Ensuring proper production and accuracy of desserts for clients and residents with special dietary needs
- Assisting with the preparation and packaging of meals for Evening Meals on Wheels
- Assisting with the upkeep and maintenance of kitchen equipment including stoves, ranges, freezers, refrigerators, mats, etc.
- Assisting when needed in checking and recording temperatures for food, coolers, and freezers
- Assisting as needed in the serving kitchen and dining room
- Being responsible for daily cleanliness and cleanup of the commercial kitchen including scrubbing, washing and putting away pans and utensils, wiping and sanitizing counter tops, and sweeping and mopping floors
- Adhering to all safety, infection control, and food handling regulations
- Maintaining the dignity and confidentiality of the clients, including HIPPA compliance
- Other duties as assigned
- This role reports to the Chef/Food Services Director
- Hours are 1st shift Monday-Friday, and occasional holidays
- Full-time employees are eligible for employer/employee contribution health insurance, paid vacation, paid holidays, sick leave, retirement plan participation, and flexible benefit plan (subject to plan waiting periods and eligibility criteria)
- This position will sometimes involve the sanitation of a commercial kitchen environment including but not limited to lifting of up to 50 pounds, standing and being on one’s feet for extended periods of time, and using various industrial kitchen appliances
- Serv/Safe Certification can be made available within 12 months of hire
- While having experience is a plus, attitude and desire are most important
- Possess positive demeanor and excellent customer service skills
- High school diploma or equivalency diploma preferred
- Prior baking experience is preferred, but not required
- Experience working with seniors or disabled adults in a service capacity is helpful
- Possess basic kitchen sanitation knowledge and familiarity with basic and commercial kitchen appliances
Start a rewarding career with us today.
Independent Living, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer to all individuals regardless of race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other characteristics protected by local, state, or federal law.
Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Join our team and enjoy building your career with us!